Monday, January 23, 2012

DIY Instagram Polaroid Magnets

So my friend Rhiannon is leaving to move to Frederick, Maryland and I decided to make her some homemade magnets as a going away present.  I had found these tiny DIY Polaroid magnets on Pinterest and thought this was such a cute idea.  But, I also love the Instagram program and the idea of the Stickygrams (Instagram magnets).  I just didn't love the cost of $14.99.




Stickygram



So, I decided to combine the two ideas together.  I had her email me her favorite pictures and then I took those and Instagramed them.  I then used the website Picnik to edit the photos.  All I did was add the polaroid border to it and saved the finished photos to my computer. With the polaroid border you have to choose a background color.  I choose gray for mine because, you will be cutting this off and I didn't want to waste my black ink.  I then printed the photos out on 4X6 Kodak photo printing paper. 




I then cut the pictures out with the polaroid background and mod podged them onto the backing of a notebook. 



 
Once the pics were dry I cut them out and then glued the magnets onto the back of them. I used E-600 to glue the magnets on.  I also used a strip magnet that I had bought from Hobby Lobby.  The magnet does the trick but, next time I think I am going to use the circular magnets.  I just think the circular magnets will lay better and you can get some heavy duty ones from Home Depot for really cheap. 



 
 I let the magnets dry overnight and then put them up on the refrigerator for Rhiannon to find the next day.

 


This project only cost me $3.00 for the magnets.  I already had the photo paper, the mod podge, the notebook, and the glue.  And I think they came out pretty good.  They are cute and functional at the same time.  I think I will be making myself some soon. 


- L -






No comments:

Post a Comment