Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Personalized Wooden Crate

Pallets and wooden crates are really big right now.  And I have to admit I love them.  I really want an old looking crate in my living room to hold all of DD's toy.  I just think they are so neat looking and have so much character.  I went to Jo-Ann's and found this unfinished crate for only $9.  It was perfect. 




All it needed was some stain.  Which I got at Lowe's.  I did try out a couple of stains before I found one I liked though. This one just had the most beautiful coloring to it.  It is by Rust-Oleum and is the Early American




 Next, I went to work in the garage staining away.  I just used an old paint brush and a cloth diaper to rub off the extra stain.  The cloth diaper worked perfectly for that and it gave me an excuse to use one ( I do use them when I Pledge my furniture also, they work great for that as well).






















Once the stain was done drying I decided  to stencil it and give it a bit of personalization. Just as a side note, it did take several days for the crate to dry.  The one I am showing your guys is the crate I did for Whitney.  She really wanted one as well, and I did hers before mine.  Mine is still a work in process. 




 I got my stencils from the Martha Stewart line.  It's the Monogram Serif Alphabet Stencil. 


Martha Stewart Serif Alphabet Stencil


I also got this awesome tool that makes stenciling a breeze.  It's by Martha Stewart as well.  It is the Foam Pouncers Set. 


Martha Stewart Foam Pouncers


I just used some black acrylic paint that I borrowed from Whitney for the stenciling. 




 For her crate I used her last name and the year she got married.  Voila! Here is the finished product. 




Here it is in Whitney's living room holding some blankets. 


- L -











1 comment:

  1. Different people have their choice but everyone wants to keep the old crates. Crates are used by everyone. Wooden crates are the most useable crates due to the wood property.

    ReplyDelete